Monday, June 30, 2008

Enchanting Review: How I Found The Perfect Dress

HOW I FOUND THE PERFECT DRESS
MARYROSE WOOD
Magical Fantasy YA
Berkley Jam Trade
ISBN 978-0-425-21939-3
231 Pages
$9.99
Trade – Available Now

Rating: 5 Enchantments

HOW I FOUND THE PERFECT DRESS is one of my absolute favorite books of the year. I'm anxious to track down the first book, WHY I LET MY HAIR GROW OUT to see how everything started for Morgan/Morganne and the adorable Colin.

In HOW I FOUND THE PERFECT DRESS, Morgan's crush from Ireland is coming to visit for two weeks, while taking part in a program at UCONN. But from the moment he arrives, Morgan knows there's something wrong with the hottie, Colin. He's absolutely exhausted and he confides in her about these weird little notes he finds in his pockets when he wakes up every morning. Morgan makes it her mission to find out what's going on and does everything in her power, including playing matchmaker to a leprechaun to put a stop to it.

Ms. Wood creates a wonderful world, populated with truly great characters. From Morgan and Colin, to Morgan's younger sister, the gnomes, the leprechaun and everyone in between, I really enjoyed them all. They were all so unique, so lifelike, I found myself believing they could all actually exist.

One of my favorite scenes takes place after Morgan finds out she needs to find a leprechaun a date in order to help break the curse on poor Colin. Outside in the dark in the middle of the night, she finds herself wondering if there's more to the plastic and ceramic gardening gnomes her father's collecting than meets the eye.

If you're looking for a fun, hilarious fantasy read I can't recommend this book highly enough.

Ms. Wood's first novel for young adults, SEX KITTENS AND HORN DAWGS FALL IN LOVE, was published in 2006 and hailed as "an uproariously funny debut" (Booklist), "irresistible" (Cleveland Plain Dealer), and "an effervescent delight" (Common Sense Media). You can visit her online at www.maryrosewood.com

Lisa
Enchanting Reviews
June 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment