Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Interview with SWEETHEARTS author Sara Zarr

Why Young Adult?
I feel like YA chose me more than I chose it. When I think of story ideas, they just happen to involve high school characters. I am interested in writing for and about other ages, too, but I’ve always been a fan of YA. Also, characters at that age are going through so many changes and new experiences and self-discovery - it’s a time rich with story possibilities.

What do you like best about being an author?

Number one is fan mail - hearing from readers (of all ages) who respond in some personal way to my books. Two is getting to live a flexible lifestyle in which I keep my own schedule and get to linger in bed in the mornings.

Jenna’s a character I think a lot of teenagers can relate to. What was one of the first things you knew about her as a character?

I knew that she was loyal, maybe to a fault, and that her definition of herself was rooted a lot in childhood events.

What do you like best about Jenna?

I like that she sincerely wants to do what’s best and right.

What was your favorite scene to write in the book?

There were a few I enjoyed, including the positive childhood memory about being in the aspen grove with Cameron, and then the present day scene with Jenna and Cameron on the porch in the early morning snow.

What do you hope for readers to take away from the story?
I just hope people have a satisfying and memorable reading experience. Anything they draw beyond that is gravy!

What’s next for you?
My next YA novel with Little, Brown will be out sometime in late 2009 or early 2010. I can’t talk about it too much, but it will be pretty different from my first two.


Interview by Lisa
April 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment