Thursday, November 1, 2007

Enchanting Interview:Kimberlee Mendoza


How long have you been writing?
I started writing when I was 7, but I wrote my first full
novel when I was 13. It was originally called, "My Sister,
My Enemy." It is now published by Wild Rose Press under
the new name, "Love thy Sister, Guard thy Man." It's very
cool to see my first "baby" finally born.


What do you like best about being a writer?
Having my imagination come alive and being able to go into
any world.


Why Young Adult?
I love teenagers. I know that sounds cliché, but I teach a
young adult acting class and direct a young adult traveling
drama group. Most of my best friends are under 21. I just
think teenagers are cool. It is fun to write a book and
return to high school. I also tend to write with a young
voice without trying.
"Love thy Sister" was originally rejected by The Wild Rose
Press because the voice was too young. Then they opened the
young adult line and contacted me to be the "launch" book.


What's your writing process like?
I concentrate on the characters and the storyline as I'm
driving my kids to school, trying to go to sleep, or waiting
in line at the grocery store. Then when I finally have a
moment to sit down, I just start typing. I rarely outline,
because I like to see where the characters take me. Once
I've "finished" a story, then I go back through and
tighten it…again, and again.


Do you have any writing rituals?
MUST have chocolate before sitting down to write.
I sit on my couch, with a laptop in my lap, three pillows
behind my back and a bottle of water tucked between the
cushions.



What inspired this book?
I was a teenager when I wrote it, so maybe life. Of course
it's taken many rewrites over the years. My older sister is
afraid the story is about her, but I keep telling her that
the younger sister is the evil one.


How did you come up with the title?
As already mentioned, it was originally,
"My Sister, My Enemy." But other books were released this year
with the same name. So, I just started writing down every
idea I could come up with. Somehow I got to it.


Favorite character in the book?
Oh, I love April. She's my main character's best friend.
She's not afraid to say what she thinks and I love that
about her. She is a lot like a friend I had in high school.


Hardest scene to write?
The beginning. I wrote it four different ways before ending
where I did.


Do you have any sequels planned?
Yes. Actually, I've already contracted two books and have
one more to write. Each book in the "Russell Family Series"
is about one of the four siblings. The other books are
titled, "Oh Brother, You're Not My Keeper,"
"Seek Ye First My Heart" and
"Fried, Scrambled & Unequally Yoked."
"Brother" should be out early 2008.
"Seek Ye First" some time in mid-2008. (I've been told
this is the best one of the three. It is the story of the
"evil" sister.)


What's next for you?
I have "Fried, Scrambled & Unequally Yoked" to write still.
That'll keep me busy for a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment